Friday 17 February 2017

Day 47: Otis, Janis, Bob & Lucinda

Album 151/1031

Otis Redding - Otis Blue...Sings Soul (1965)


Side one
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Ole Man Trouble"Otis Redding2:55
2."Respect"Redding2:05
3."Change Gonna Come"Sam Cooke4:17
4."Down in the Valley"Bert BernsSolomon Burke, Babe Chivian, Joe Martin3:02
5."I've Been Loving You Too Long"Redding, Jerry Butler3:10
Side two
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
6."Shake"Cooke2:35
7."My Girl"Smokey RobinsonRonald White2:52
8."Wonderful World"Cooke, Lou AdlerHerb Alpert3:00
9."Rock Me Baby"B.B. King3:20
10."Satisfaction"Mick JaggerKeith Richards2:45
11."You Don't Miss Your Water"William Bell2:53
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otis_Blue/Otis_Redding_Sings_Soul

Golf's verdict: What a voice he had! A mix of his own plus some great covers, especially of 'Change Gonna Come' and 'Down in the Valley'. Ironically, his Respect has been deservedly overshadowed by the Aretha cover, but here gives an interesting and different perspective from the male perspective.

Maire's verdict: HIDDEN GEM!: Chock full of tunes that I recognise, most often for being sung by other artistes. While I may prefer Aretha’s version of ‘Respect’, this is still just over 30 minutes of bliss.


Album 152/1031

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde (1966)


All songs written by Bob Dylan.
Side one
No.TitleLength
1."Rainy Day Women #12 & 35"4:36
2."Pledging My Time"3:50
3."Visions of Johanna"7:33
4."One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)"4:54
Side two
No.TitleLength
1."I Want You"3:07
2."Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again"7:05
3."Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat"3:58
4."Just Like a Woman"4:52
Side three
No.TitleLength
1."Most Likely You Go Your Way and I'll Go Mine"3:30
2."Temporary Like Achilles"5:02
3."Absolutely Sweet Marie"4:57
4."4th Time Around"4:35
5."Obviously 5 Believers"3:35
Side four
No.TitleLength
1."Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands"11:23
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blonde_on_Blonde

Golf's verdict: I think this is my favourite Bob Dylan album. It's hard to be sure given his huge output, but 'Visions of Johanna', 'I Want You', '...Mobile...', 'Just Like A Woman' & 'Sad Eyed Lady...' is almost a Side 1 of his Best of for me.

Maire's verdict: Bob Dylan is one of those artists I don’t really get (once again, probably says more about me than him). Lyrics can be brilliant (although I’m not that enamoured by ‘Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35’ which is often hailed as a classic) but I’m not a fan of his voice. This didn’t make me change my mind.

Album 153/1031

Janis Joplin - Pearl (1971)


Side one
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Move Over"Janis Joplin3:39
2."Cry Baby"Jerry RagovoyBert Berns3:56
3."A Woman Left Lonely"Dan PennSpooner Oldham3:27
4."Half Moon"John Hall, Johanna Hall3:51
5."Buried Alive in the Blues"Nick Gravenites2:24
Side two
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."My Baby"Jerry Ragovoy, Mort Shuman3:44
2."Me and Bobby McGee"Kris KristoffersonFred Foster4:29
3."Mercedes Benz"Janis Joplin, Bob NeuwirthMichael McClure1:46
4."Trust Me"Bobby Womack3:15
5."Get It While You Can"Jerry Ragovoy, Mort Shuman (Howard Tate 1966 rendition)3:23
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_(album)

Golf's verdict: Whilst Bob Dylan's voice will never be described as the best arrow in his quiver, you cannot say the same for Janis. Any album with 'Me and Bobby McGee' will get my attention and the other tracks here and the way the album is put together make for a great listen, with 'Mercedes Benz' providing a great opportunity for a sing-along. A tragic waste of talent.

Maire's verdict: Gorgeous voice and some classic songs but not all killer.

Album 154/1031

Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road (1998)


All tracks by Lucinda Williams except where noted.
  1. "Right in Time" – 4:35
  2. "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" – 4:44
  3. "2 Kool 2 Be 4-gotten" – 4:42
  4. "Drunken Angel" – 3:20
  5. "Concrete and Barbed Wire" – 3:08
  6. "Lake Charles" – 5:27
  7. "Can’t Let Go" (Randy Weeks) – 3:28
  8. "I Lost It" – 3:31
  9. "Metal Firecracker" – 3:30
  10. "Greenville" – 3:23
  11. "Still I Long For Your Kiss" (Williams, Duane Jarvis) – 4:09
  12. "Joy" – 4:01
  13. "Jackson" – 3:42

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Wheels_on_a_Gravel_Road


Golf's verdict:
This could have been Sheryl, Shania, Sheree, Shirelle or lord knows how many other modern country types. I know the name but not the singer and, although the album cover provides no clue, my guess is that 90% of the pictures of Lucinda feature denim and cowboy hats/boots...Not really my cup of tea. (Later edit: Yep, checked Google and denim, boots and cowboy hats are all present and correct).

Maire's verdict: Liked some of the lyrics but the music was a bit twee for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment