Tuesday 21 February 2017

Day 49: Franz F & MBV

Album 159/1031


Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand (2004)



No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Jacqueline"Robert HardyAlex KapranosNick McCarthy3:49
2."Tell Her Tonight"Kapranos, McCarthy2:17
3."Take Me Out"Kapranos, McCarthy3:57
4."The Dark of the Matinée"Hardy, Kapranos, McCarthy4:03
5."Auf Achse"Kapranos, McCarthy4:19
6."Cheating on You"Kapranos, McCarthy2:36
7."This Fire"Kapranos, McCarthy4:14
8."Darts of Pleasure"Kapranos, McCarthy2:59
9."Michael"Kapranos, McCarthy3:21
10."Come on Home"Kapranos, McCarthy3:46
11."40'"Kapranos, McCarthy3:24
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Ferdinand_(album)

Golf's verdict: An incredibly strong debut album from a band who provided the whole package of music, visuals and cool. Not a weak tune on the whole album. If you've not heard their super-group collaboration with Sparks, called FFS, then go find it. It - like this - is a future classic.

Maire's verdict: HIDDEN GEM!: I haven't listened to this album in years and had forgotten how many cracking songs are on it. Made me smile the whole way through.


Album 160/1031

My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything (1988)

All tracks written by Kevin Shields unless otherwise noted.
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Soft as Snow (But Warm Inside)"Shields, Colm Ó Cíosóig2:21
2."Lose My Breath"Bilinda Butcher, Shields3:37
3."Cupid Come"Butcher, Shields4:27
4."(When You Wake) You're Still in a Dream"Shields, Ó Cíosóig3:16
5."No More Sorry"Butcher, Shields2:48
6."All I Need" 3:04
7."Feed Me with Your Kiss" 3:54
8."Sueisfine"Shields, Ó Cíosóig2:12
9."Several Girls Galore"Butcher, Shields2:21
10."You Never Should" 3:21
11."Nothing Much to Lose" 3:16
12."I Can See It (But I Can't Feel It)" 3:10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isn't_Anything

Golf's verdict: HIDDEN GEM!: In 1988, when I was in the 5th Form at school, I swapped my original cassette copy of The Wonderstuff's Eight Legged Groove Machine for one of this with a boy called Richard Buckley. I have never had cause to regret that trade. MBV created an entirely new type of music with this album and - whilst they have hardly been prodigious since - their influence can be heard in 1000s of bands that have come since. I wonder what Richard Buckley thinks of the Eight Legged Groove Machine...

Maire's verdict: Haven't been feeling too great today and that may have affected my response. I thought this was okay but nothing to rave about. Golf declared it one of the best albums ever so may need to revisit.




No comments:

Post a Comment