Sunday 16 July 2017

Day 157: Mis-shapes, mistakes, misfits. Raised on a diet of broken biscuits...

Album 501/1031

Anthrax - Among The Living (1987)


All tracks written by Anthrax except "I Am the Law" and "Imitation of Life" by Anthrax and Danny Lilker.
Side one
No.TitleLength
1."Among the Living"5:16
2."Caught in a Mosh"5:00
3."I Am the Law"5:57
4."Efilnikufesin (N.F.L.)"4:54
5."A Skeleton in the Closet"5:32
Side two
No.TitleLength
6."Indians"5:40
7."One World"5:56
8."A.D.I./Horror of It All"7:49
9."Imitation of Life"4:22

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Among_the_Living

Golf's verdict: Even when I was 13 I preferred The Dead Kennedys and The Damned to the likes of Anthrax and their like. Nothing on here to make me revisit that call.

Maire's verdict: The only track I recognised was 'I am the Law' and I think that's because I've heard another version. The rest I can do without.

Album 502/1031

Pulp - Different Class (1995)


All lyrics written by Jarvis Cocker; all music composed by Pulp (Cocker, Nick BanksSteve MackeyRussell SeniorCandida Doyle and Mark Webber), except where noted.
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Mis-Shapes"3:46
2."Pencil Skirt"3:11
3."Common People"Cocker, Banks, Mackey, Senior, Doyle.5:50
4."I Spy"5:55
5."Disco 2000"4:33
6."Live Bed Show"3:29
7."Something Changed"3:18
8."Sorted for E's & Wizz"3:47
9."F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E"6:01
10."Underwear"Cocker, Banks, Mackey, Senior, Doyle.4:06
11."Monday Morning"4:16
12."Bar Italia"3:42
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Different_Class

Golf's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! Pulp at their finest were an absolutely amazing band. This album - and its immediate predecessor, 'His and Hers' - are two of my most treasured. We were lucky to see them in their original guise (on this tour, in fact) and again when they reformed in the Noughties. Sadly missed.

Maire's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! One of my all time favourite albums. A work of pure genius and 'Disco 2000' always reminds me of one of my best mates, Ged.

Album 503/1031

Screaming Trees - Dust (1996)


All songs written by Van Conner, Gary Lee Conner, Mark Lanegan except as indicated.
  1. "Halo of Ashes"  (V. Conner, G. Conner, Lanegan, Barrett Martin) – 4:04
  2. "All I Know" – 3:55
  3. "Look at You" – 4:42
  4. "Dying Days" – 4:51
  5. "Make My Mind" – 4:11
  6. "Sworn and Broken" – 3:34
  7. "Witness" – 3:39
  8. "Traveler" – 5:22
  9. "Dime Western"  (V. Conner, G. Conner, Lanegan, Martin) – 3:39
  10. "Gospel Plow"  (V. Conner, G. Conner, Lanegan, Martin) – 6:17

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_(Screaming_Trees_album)

Golf's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! I love Mark Lanegan's voice and own many of his solo records, but this was the first time I had heard Screaming Trees' final album. Whilst they were never a huge draw, there's plenty of evidence here to suggest that missing these when they were active was a real shame.

Maire's verdict: I hadn't actually realised this was part of the challenge when I was listening to it. Very enjoyable and will definitely listen to again.

No comments:

Post a Comment