Friday 10 March 2017

Day 61: Nevermind about Pearl Jam, but what's this Joni Mitchell?

Album 194/1031

Pearl Jam - Ten (1991)




All lyrics written by Eddie Vedder; except on bonus track "I've Got a Feeling", by John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

No.TitleMusicLength
1."Once"Stone Gossard3:51
2."Even Flow"Gossard4:53
3."Alive"Gossard5:41
4."Why Go"Jeff Ament3:20
5."Black"Gossard5:43
6."Jeremy"Ament5:18
7."Oceans"
  • Gossard
  • Ament
  • Vedder
2:42
8."Porch"Vedder3:30
9."Garden"
  • Gossard
  • Ament
4:59
10."Deep"
  • Gossard
  • Ament
4:18
11."Release[I]"
9:05
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_(Pearl_Jam_album)

Golf's verdict: I cannot stand Pearl Jam. Or at least I thought I couldn't stand them. On closer listening to the links of Radio DJs over the years I have realised that at least 50% of the songs I thought were PJ are actually by other people. That's part of the problem though. It's all a bit grunge-by-numbers. Angst-filled lyrics sung with - what sounds to me - forced intensity. In reality, my reaction to hearing this all the way through for the first time ever was not as negative as I expected. Perhaps it's my age.

Maire's verdict: I'll let you into a secret: I don't find Pearl Jam as offensive as Golf. Bland, yes, but there's not enough emotion involved for me to hate them. To be honest - all the songs pretty much blend into one, with the possible exception of 'Alive'.


Album 195/1031

Joni Mitchell - Hejira (1976)




All tracks written by Joni Mitchell.
Side one
No.TitleLength
1."Coyote"5:01
2."Amelia"6:01
3."Furry Sings the Blues"5:07
4."A Strange Boy"4:15
5."Hejira"6:42
Side two
No.TitleLength
6."Song for Sharon"8:40
7."Black Crow"4:22
8."Blue Motel Room"5:04
9."Refuge of the Roads"6:42
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hejira_(album)

Golf's verdict: No. Don't understand the appeal of this. Horribly dated production and far too much fretless bass. I have never been a fan and not likely ever to be one.

Maire's verdict: I've known about how influential Joni Mitchell supposedly for years but have never really listened to her music. Probably won't be rushing to do so again. Struck me as a female version of Bob Dylan (I'm not a fan) but with a better singing voice.

Album 196/1031

Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)


All songs were written by Kurt Cobain, except where noted.

No.TitleLength
1."Smells Like Teen Spirit(writers: Cobain, Dave GrohlKrist Novoselic)5:01
2."In Bloom"4:14
3."Come as You Are"3:39
4."Breed"3:03
5."Lithium"4:17
6."Polly"2:57
7."Territorial Pissings" (writers: Cobain, Chet Powers)2:22
8."Drain You"3:43
9."Lounge Act"2:36
10."Stay Away"3:32
11."On a Plain"3:16
12."Something in the Way"3:46

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevermind

Golf's verdict: The most influential album of its generation and its genre. Kurt Cobain was - above all else - a good song-writer. He knew how to write great riffs, hooks and choruses. It's no more complex than that, but only a very small number of people can do it (take note Pearl Jam). So over-exposed to this was I in the early 90s that I had not listened to this in 20 years. There is not a weak track on it and Something in the Way is a plaintive classic.

Maire's verdict: (Not so) HIDDEN GEM!: Now we're talking! I loved this when it came out. It still holds a special place in my heart and a lot of the tracks are guaranteed to get me on a dance floor (most probably the kitchen nowadays, to be honest) even now.



No comments:

Post a Comment