Wednesday 1 March 2017

Day 55: The King arrives...with some classics and some cheese

Album 177/1031

Elvis Presley - From Elvis in Memphis (1969)


Side one
No.TitleWriter(s)Recording dateLength
1."Wearin' That Loved On Look"Dallas FrazierA.L. OwensJanuary 13, 19692:46
2."Only the Strong Survive"Jerry ButlerKenny GambleLeon HuffFebruary 19, 19692:42
3."I'll Hold You in My Heart (Till I Can Hold You in My Arms)"Eddy Arnold, Thomas Dilbeck, Vaughan HortonJanuary 22, 19694:34
4."Long Black Limousine"Bobby George, Vern StovallJanuary 13, 19693:38
5."It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin'"Johnny TillotsonFebruary 20, 19692:36
6."I'm Movin' On"Hank SnowJanuary 14, 19692:43
Side two
No.TitleWriter(s)Recording dateLength
1."Power of My Love"Bernie BaumBill GiantFlorence KayeFebruary 18, 19692:36
2."Gentle on My Mind"John HartfordJanuary 14, 19693:21
3."After Loving You"Janet Lantz, Eddie MillerFebruary 18, 19693:05
4."True Love Travels on a Gravel Road"Dallas FrazierA.L. OwensFebruary 17, 19692:38
5."Any Day Now"Burt BacharachBob HilliardFebruary 20, 19692:59
6."In the Ghetto"Mac DavisJanuary 20, 19692:57

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Elvis_in_Memphis

Golf's verdict: Hmm. Glad as I am to see Elvis' arrival on the list, it's an inconvenient truth that he was not well-known for his classic albums. Whilst the extended version we heard today had Suspicious Minds and Kentucky Rain included, the original has some great stand-out tunes like Gentle on My Mind and In the Ghetto, but also a lot of pretty stodgy stuff more suited to the lounge-crooner period that would soon follow.

Maire's verdict: It should be noted for the record that I'm a huge Elvis fan. The original album has one of my all-time favourite Elvis tracks, 'In the Ghetto'. I listened to the reissue which has 2 more of my favourite songs: 'Kentucky Rain' (his best ever as far as I'm concerned) and 'Suspicious Minds'. What's not to love?

Album 178/1031

Sepultura - Roots (1996)



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roots_(Sepultura_album)

Golf's verdict: Brazilian thrash-metal band? Why not? We both love System of a Down and Faith No More so I was expecting to like this more. I loved the injection of the folk music into their sound, but ultimately did not think it had enough range for a 70+ minute album.

Maire's verdict: Not that bothered by the lyrics ('What lyrics?' I hear you ask) but quite enjoyed the style, at least initially. Interesting mix of thrash metal and indigenous music. Album was too long, though ('Canyon Jam' was about 13 mins alone) and got repetitive mid-way through.

Album 179/1031


Crusaders - Street Life (1979)

Track listing

  1. "Street Life" (Will JenningsJoe Sample) – 11:18
  2. "My Lady" (Wilton Felder) – 6:43
  3. "Rodeo Drive (High Steppin')" (Sample) – 4:28
  4. "Carnival of the Night" (Felder) – 6:24
  5. "The Hustler" (Stix Hooper) – 5:18
  6. "Night Faces" (Sample) – 5:10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Life_(The_Crusaders_album)

Golf's verdict: Randy Crawford sings Street Life and you will definitely recognise it. The rest sounds like incidental music from a 1980s TV movie, sadly.

Maire's verdict: I hadn't clicked that I knew the title song until it started playing. It's the highlight of the album. The rest is too jazzy for me and sounds dated.

No comments:

Post a Comment