Saturday 25 March 2017

Day 70: Antony and Beyonce

Album 222/1031

Antony & the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now (2005)




All tracks written by Anohni.
No.TitleLength
1."Hope There's Someone"4:21
2."My Lady Story"3:33
3."For Today I Am a Boy"2:36
4."Man Is the Baby"4:09
5."You Are My Sister"3:59
6."What Can I Do?"1:40
7."Fistful of Love"5:52
8."Spiralling"4:25
9."Free at Last"1:36
10."Bird Gerhl"3:14

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_a_Bird_Now

Golf's verdict: I remember this at the time and was a little put off by the regular warble of his vocal style. But on a full listen this gives up gem after gem. The lyrics are rather moving and personal and Rufus Wainwright even turns up on one track.

Maire's verdict: HIDDEN GEM: I remember this winning the Mercury Prize but don't think I've ever listened to it before. I missed out - excellent album, particularly if you have a soft spot for Rufus.


Album 223/1031 

Beyonce - Beyonce (2013)




No.TitleWriter(s)Producer(s)Length
1."Pretty Hurts"
4:17
2."Haunted"
6:09
3."Drunk in Love(featuring Jay Z)
5:23
4."Blow"
  • Williams
  • Knowles
  • Timbaland[a]
  • J-Roc[a]
5:09
5."No Angel"
  • Polachek
  • Knowles
  • Boots[b]
3:48
6."Partition"
5:19
7."Jealous"
3:04
8."Rocket"
  • Timbaland
  • Knowles
  • J-Roc[a]
6:31
9."Mine(featuring Drake) 6:18
10."XO"
  • Nash
  • Tedder
  • Knowles
  • Hit-Boy[b]
  • HazeBanga[b]
3:35
11."***Flawless(featuring Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie)
  • Hit-Boy
  • Knowles
  • Rey Reel[a]
  • HazeBanga[a]
  • Boots[b]
4:10
12."Superpower(featuring Frank Ocean)
  • Williams
  • Knowles[c]
  • Boots[b]
4:36
13."Heaven"
  • Asher
  • Knowles
  • Boots
  • Knowles
3:50
14."Blue" (featuring Blue Ivy)
  • Asher
  • Knowles
  • Boots
  • Knowles
4:26
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyonc%C3%A9_(album)

Golf's verdict: This is the first of the 'multi-media' albums I think she has produced. I did not see the accompanying video disc, but the music sounds good enough. Given the number of writers involved and the fact she is the most famous woman on the planet this comes as no surprise. Not something I would normally listen to, but I liked what I heard.

Maire's verdict: I can understand why she's a superstar and enjoyed listening but probably won't become a regular go-to album.




No comments:

Post a Comment