Tuesday 28 March 2017

Day 81: Come on Eileen is one of Maire's least favourite records ever...

Album 248/1031

Isaac Hayes - Shaft (1971)




All songs written and produced by Isaac Hayes.

Side one

  1. "Theme from Shaft" (Vocal Version) – 4:39
  2. "Bumpy's Lament" – 1:51
  3. "Walk from Regio's" – 2:24
  4. "Ellie's Love Theme" – 3:18
  5. "Shaft's Cab Ride" – 1:10

Side two

  1. "Cafe Regio's" – 6:10
  2. "Early Sunday Morning" – 3:49
  3. "Be Yourself" – 4:30
  4. "A Friend's Place" – 3:24

Side three

  1. "Soulsville" (Vocal Version) – 3:48
  2. "No Name Bar" – 6:11
  3. "Bumpy's Blues" – 4:04
  4. "Shaft Strikes Again" – 3:04

Side four

  1. "Do Your Thing" (Vocal Version) – 19:30
  2. "The End Theme" – 1:56

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaft_(album)

Golf's verdict: This double album is probably an album too much for me. Plenty of hot-buttered soul on offer here, but ultimately this is all about the title track and theme to the movie, which bookends this. I think I am right that - when they made a remake of Shaft - they kept the Isaac Hayes theme intact.

Maire's verdict: I'm not really a fan of (mostly) instrumental albums but everyone loves the theme from 'Shaft', don't they? That's probably the only track I'd listen to again, though.

Album 249/1031

Dexy's Midnight Runners - Too-Rye-Ay (1982)




Side One
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."The Celtic Soul Brothers"Kevin Rowland, Jim Paterson, Mickey Billingham3:07
2."Let's Make This Precious"Rowland, Paterson4:03
3."All in All (This One Last Wild Waltz)"Rowland, Paterson4:08
4."Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile)"Van Morrison3:06
5."Old"Rowland, Paterson5:00
Side Two
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
6."Plan B"Rowland, Paterson5:04
7."I'll Show You"Rowland, Paterson2:41
8."Liars A to E"Rowland, Paterson, Steve Torch4:10
9."Until I Believe in My Soul"Rowland, Paterson7:00
10."Come On Eileen"Rowland, Paterson, Billy Adams4:07

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Too-Rye-Ay

Golf's verdict: As Maire and I approach our 25th anniversary few things have tested the relationship more than when I took her to see the reformed Dexys at the Royal Festival Hall in 2003. I think they are fantastic and - though i prefer the later Don't Stand Me Down album - there is lots to like here. Maire will be less keen.

Maire's verdict: If I had to choose my Top 5 most hated songs 'Come On Eileen' would be vying for the top spot. I think that tells you all you need to know of my feelings towards Dexys, but in case it's not clear: I can't fucking stand them.

No comments:

Post a Comment