Thursday 13 April 2017

Day 95: Well I been down so goddamn long, that it looks like up to me...

Album 291/1031 

Kid Rock - Devil Without a Cause (1998)




No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Bawitdaba"Kid RockMatthew ShaferJason Krause, David Parker, Sylvia Robinson4:27
2."Cowboy"Kid RockMatthew ShaferJohn Travis, James Trombly4:17
3."Devil Without a Cause" (featuring Joe C.)Kenny Olson, Kid RockMatthew ShaferToo $hort, Larry Smith, Jalil "Whodini" Hutchins5:32
4."I Am the Bullgod"Kid Rock4:50
5."Roving Gangster (Rollin')"Kid RockMatthew ShaferMark MoralesDarren Robinson, Andy Nehra, Damon Wimbley4:24
6."Wasting Time"Kid RockMatthew ShaferLindsey Buckingham4:02
7."Welcome 2 the Party (Ode 2 the Old School)"Kid RockMatthew ShaferLamont DozierEddie HollandBrian Holland5:14
8."I Got One for Ya'" (featuring Robert Bradley)Kenny Olson, Kid RockMatthew ShaferJohn TravisJerry Williams3:43
9."Somebody's Gotta Feel This"Kid RockMatthew Shafer, Kenny Olson, John Travis3:09
10."Fist of Rage"Kid RockMatthew ShaferJohn Travis3:23
11."Only God Knows Why"Kid RockMatthew ShaferJohn Travis5:27
12."Fuck Off" (featuring Eminem, does not appear on clean version)Kid RockMatthew ShaferMarshall MathersJason Krause6:13
13."Where U at Rock"Kid Rock4:24
14."Black Chick, White Guy / I Am the Bullgod (Remix; hidden track)" (The song "Black Chick, White Guy" ends at 7:07 and the hidden track begins at 7:10)Kid Rock12:01

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_Without_a_Cause

Golf's verdict: Rather enjoyed this. It fuses a 'South of Dixie' sound (think Lynyrd Skynyrd) with pretty old school hip hop. Despite (according to one of the lyrics, at least) coming from Detroit, Mr Rock passes this off decidedly well. Mix it up with some fruity, off-colour and (often) relatively amusing lyrics, an obligatory swear-fest featuring Eminem and it all trots along quite nicely, thank you very much.

Maire's verdict: I decided to listen to this first as I assumed I'd hate it and I'd have Napalm Death and The Doors to recover. Much to my surprise I found myself tapping my feet through the 70 odd minutes. Not at all what I was expecting; really enjoyed it. (Did consider it as a potential hidden gem but not convinced the lyrics will stand scrutiny).


Album 292/1031

Napalm Death - Scum (1987)




All lyrics written by Nik Bullen and Justin Broadrick; all music composed by Napalm Death.
Side one
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Multinational Corporations"Nicholas Bullen1:06
2."Instinct of Survival"Justin Broadrick, Bullen2:26
3."The Kill"Broadrick, Bullen0:23
4."Scum"Broadrick, Bullen2:38
5."Caught... in a Dream"Broadrick, Bullen, Ratledge1:47
6."Polluted Minds"Broadrick0:58
7."Sacrificed"Bullen1:06
8."Siege of Power"Bullen3:59
9."Control"Broadrick, Bullen1:23
10."Born on Your Knees"Broadrick, Bullen1:48
11."Human Garbage"Broadrick, Bullen1:32
12."You Suffer"Broadrick, Bullen0:01
Total length:19:30
All lyrics written by Jim Whitely; all music composed by Napalm Death.

Side two
No.TitleLength
1."Life?"0:43
2."Prison Without Walls"0:38
3."Point of No Return"0:35
4."Negative Approach"0:32
5."Success?"1:09
6."Deceiver"0:29
7."C.S."1:14
8."Parasites"0:23
9."Pseudo Youth"0:42
10."Divine Death"1:21
11."As the Machine Rolls On"0:42
12."Common Enemy"0:16
13."Moral Crusade"1:32
14."Stigmatized"1:03
15."M.A.D."1:34
16."Dragnet"1:01
Total length:13:34
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scum_(Napalm_Death_album)

Golf's verdict: Yes, it really does contain 28 tracks and yes, one of them really is one second long*. I mostly had these down as a bit of a joke band, but they are still going (and thriving) 30 years after recording this debut, so they must have some appeal. Mainly though, whatever it is, it is lost on me. 

* It was in the Guinness Book of Records apparently. At the time I seem to remember there was a bit of competition between trash metal bands (they're called 'grindcore' now, but I beleive that to be a relatively recent affectation.) I once owned a 12" of The Electro Hippies 'Mega Armageddon Death' that was even shorter. In fact, someone later put them both on a double A-side and released it. Watch it played in full here:




Maire's verdict: I haven't listened to Napalm Death since I was about 16 when I discovered them, Christian Death (one of Mother's favourites, obviously) and The Fields of the Nephilim (still listen to them reasonably regularly and was ridiculously excited when I saw them with Ged for the first time in my 30s). While the album brought memories, there's a reason I only listen to the Neph now.

Side note: I think I scared the gentleman sitting next to me on the plane when I accidentally pulled out the headphone jack from my phone and Scum was heard loud and clear for a few seconds. 


Album 293/1031

The Doors - LA Woman (1991)


Side A
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."The Changeling"Jim Morrison4:21
2."Love Her Madly"Robby Krieger3:20
3."Been Down So Long"Morrison4:41
4."Cars Hiss by My Window"Morrison4:12
5."L.A. Woman"Morrison7:49

Side B
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
6."L'America"Morrison4:37
7."Hyacinth House"Ray Manzarek, Morrison3:11
8."Crawling King Snake"Anonymous, arr. John Lee Hooker5:00
9."The WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat)"Morrison4:16
10."Riders on the Storm"Morrison, Manzarek, Krieger, John Densmore7:09

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.A._Woman

Golf's verdict: HIDDEN GEM ! Once, as Pixies-obsessed, fret-fumbling 16 year olds, the muckers and I used to play with some older boys and their band 'Afghan Black' (oh, what rebels we were!) I distinctly remember them playing 'Been Down So Long' one night and being mightily impressed with the lyric, thinking it was something they'd come up with themselves. That is just one of many gems on this, late period, Doors album (Jim M died shortly after it was completed). It makes a fitting epitaph, particularly as it closes with the epic 'Riders on the Storm'. RIP Jim.


Maire's verdict: I have a fondness for the The Doors although possibly more of a 'Best of' fan. 'Love Her Madly', 'LA Woman' and 'Riders on the Storm' (a favourite) are all great tracks and I still remember the Jim Morrison poster I had on my bedroom wall. Made me want to watch The Lost Boys - randomly, as that particular song ('People Are Strange'*) isn't on this album.

* Ed: It's on 'Strange Days' (1967)

1 comment:

  1. I remember that gig (Mark village hall was it?) and had exactly the same reaction - ooh that's a good lyric, not realising it wasn't theirs. I also remember, randomly, 'walking through the streets of crime, I come to wonder what is mine'. None of that touches Funky Dog Leg and 'Kate Adie, she's my lady'. Enjoying your work you guys love Jim

    ReplyDelete