Friday 28 April 2017

Day 107: Why don't you all f-fade away...?

Album 329/1031

Prince - Purple Rain (1984)

All tracks written by Prince except "Computer Blue" by Prince, John L. NelsonWendy & Lisa and Dr. Fink (uncredited).
Side one
No.TitleLength
1."Let's Go Crazy(Prince and The Revolution)4:39
2."Take Me with U(Prince and The Revolution)3:54
3."The Beautiful Ones(Prince)5:13
4."Computer Blue(Prince and The Revolution)3:59
5."Darling Nikki(Prince)4:14

Side two
No.TitleLength
6."When Doves Cry(Prince)5:54
7."I Would Die 4 U(Prince and The Revolution)2:49
8."Baby I'm a Star(Prince and The Revolution)4:24
9."Purple Rain(Prince and The Revolution)8:41

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Rain_(album)

Golf's verdict: It was great to hear the album version of Purple Rain again, now that Prince's music is back on Spotify. I always thought this album was basically Prince proving a point to his record company: 'You want me to do a rock cross-over album and prove I can sell 10 million records? Check THIS out.' He never really went back to this more overtly rock driven style, except for the occasional track. This is the pinnacle for me. Whilst the lyrics can be a bit nonsensical, the way he expresses them through music just drips with emotion. Oh, and it is, of course, a HIDDEN GEM.

Maire's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! He's a genius. 'Nuff said.


Album 330/1031

The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free (2004)

All tracks written by Mike Skinner.

No.TitleLength
1."It Was Supposed to Be So Easy"3:56
2."Could Well Be In"4:24
3."Not Addicted"3:40
4."Blinded by the Lights"4:45
5."Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way"4:36
6."Get Out of My House" (featuring MC C-Mone)3:52
7."Fit but You Know It"4:14
8."Such a Twat"3:48
9."What Is He Thinking?" (featuring Wayney G)4:41
10."Dry Your Eyes"4:31
11."Empty Cans"8:15

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Grand_Don't_Come_for_Free

Golf's verdict: Speaking of hitting the sweet spot with emotive music and lyrics, rarely has there been greater pathos communicated through my stereo speakers than by Mike Skinner's 'Dry Your Eyes' - ridiculously simple, yet eternally and universally affecting. Rarely can I get all the way through it without following the instructions. The rest of the album does kind of pale by comparison, but it does provide a genuine insight into the thoughts, hopes and fears of a 20-something urban British male in a quite entertaining way. 

Maire's verdict: The first time I heard 'Dry Your Eyes' I had to dry my own and 'Fit But You Know It' is a great song. Haven't heard it for 10 or so years. Those tracks still stand up but the rest isn't as good as I remembered.

Album 331/1031

The Who - My Generation (1965)

All songs written by Pete Townshend, except where noted.
Side one
No.TitleLength
1."Out in the Street"2:31
2."I Don't Mind(James Brown)2:36
3."The Good's Gone"4:02
4."La-La-La-Lies"2:17
5."Much Too Much"2:47
6."My Generation"3:18

Side two
No.TitleLength
7."The Kids Are Alright"3:04
8."Please, Please, Please(Brown, Johnny Terry)2:45
9."It's Not True"2:31
10."I'm a Man(Bo Diddley)3:21
11."A Legal Matter"2:48
12."The Ox(Townshend, John EntwistleKeith MoonNicky Hopkins)3:50

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Generation_(album)

Golf's verdict: Peppered with cover versions which were probably live of rehearsal favourites, this only rarely approaches the bombast and epicness of later Who, preferring instead the relatively straight-forward 3 minute pop single format. Roger Daltrey rarely sounds like the Daltrey of the 70s either, making this (with the exception of the title track) a sometimes disorientating listen. Still highly pleasurable, nonetheless.

Maire's verdict: I liked this. I know, it surprised me too! Still not a fan of 'My Generation' though.

No comments:

Post a Comment