Friday 21 April 2017

Day 103: Maire (and Dusty) wonders what has she done to deserve this?

Album 317/1031

The Darkness - Permission to Land (2003)


All tracks written by Ed GrahamDan HawkinsJustin Hawkins and Frankie Poullain.


No.TitleLength
1."Black Shuck"3:20
2."Get Your Hands off My Woman"2:46
3."Growing on Me"3:29
4."I Believe in a Thing Called Love"3:36
5."Love Is Only a Feeling"4:19
6."Givin' Up"3:34
7."Stuck in a Rut"3:17
8."Friday Night"2:56
9."Love on the Rocks with No Ice"5:56
10."Holding My Own"4:56

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permission_to_Land

Golf's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! Maire is SO looking forward to seeing The Darkness in Auckland tonight*. What with her love of falsetto and long history of telling me how much she likes Queen. ("I really like Queen", she'll say to me, randomly and often.) I think The Darkness are unfairly written off as a 'joke band' and not really appreciated for writing some fantastic stadium rock and performing it with a knowing wink to their influences. This debut sold a couple of million copies and it's easy to understand why. It is full of great tunes and when the Hawkins brothers start playing duelling solos Thin Lizzy style, like in 'Love Is Only a Feeling' it's easily as good as any of their 60s and 70s heavy rock influences.

Maire's verdict: Which word would do justice to The Darkness? 'Shite' would be my choice although Golf would beg differ.... after all, he's talked me into seeing them this evening. Joy!

*Later. Here's a review of the gig: https://www.13thfloor.co.nz/?p=86164

Album 318/1031

Minor Threat - Out of Step (1983)


All tracks written by Minor Threat.

No.TitleLength
1."Betray"3:04
2."It Follows"1:50
3."Think Again"2:18
4."Look Back and Laugh"3:16
5."Sob Story"1:50
6."No Reason"1:57
7."Little Friend"2:18
8."Out of Step"1:20
9."Cashing In" (unlisted track on original vinyl version)3:43

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_Step_(album)

Golf's verdict: Sound like a humourless version of The Dead Kennedys to me, which is not really a compliment.

Maire's verdict: To be honest it all passed as background noise. Started listening to it again and same thing happened. Not offensive just ignorable.


Album 319/1031

Pet Shop Boys - Actually (1987)




All tracks written by Pet Shop Boys (Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe), except as noted.
Side A
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."One More Chance"Tennant, Lowe, Bobby Orlando5:30
2."What Have I Done to Deserve This?(with Dusty Springfield)Lowe, Tennant, Allee Willis4:18
3."Shopping"3:37
4."Rent"5:08
5."Hit Music"4:44

Side B
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."It Couldn't Happen Here"Tennant, Ennio Morricone, Lowe5:20
2."It's a Sin"4:59
3."I Want to Wake Up"5:08
4."Heart"3:58
5."King's Cross"5:10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actually


Golf's verdict: I had 'It's a Sin' on so loud in the car I think the surrounding cars were enjoying it too. One of the all time great Number 1 singles. This album was also responsible for restoring Dusty Springfield to national treasure status (or was that The KLF?) and full of other great tracks like 'Heart', 'Rent' (though I think I prefer the Carter USM cover version) and 'One More Chance'.

Maire's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! I do like the Pet Shop Boys but probably more of a 'Best of' fan - I certainly haven't listened to this album in full before. Loved it.

2 comments:

  1. RE Dusty and the KLF - you're thinking of Tammy Wynette there. Good Lord, I have actually trumped Golf in the music trivia realm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By jove, you're right! I had completely mis-remembered that. Justified and Ancient was indeed Tammy.

      Delete