Friday 7 April 2017

Day 91: Triple Gem Day!

Somehow I suspect Maire may not have picked these randomly today...

Album 278/1031

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever You Say I Am, That's What I Am Not (2006)


All tracks written by Alex Turner, except where noted.
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."The View from the Afternoon"3:38
2."I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor"2:53
3."Fake Tales of San Francisco"2:57
4."Dancing Shoes"2:21
5."You Probably Couldn't See for the Lights But You Were Staring Straight at Me"2:10
6."Still Take You Home"Turner, Jamie Cook2:53
7."Riot Van"2:14
8."Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured"2:23
9."Mardy Bum"2:55
10."Perhaps Vampires Is a Bit Strong But..."4:28
11."When the Sun Goes Down"3:20
12."From the Ritz to the Rubble"3:13
13."A Certain Romance"5:31

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whatever_People_Say_I_Am,_That%27s_What_I%27m_Not

Golf's verdict: Early promise from one of the UK's finest bands and the natural successor to Morrissey when it comes to writing a pithy lyric. Alex Turner was not much more than a schoolboy when he wrote some of these and still had a rash of acne when they first played 'I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor' on TOTP. This album is nearly all killer, but for the best Turner lyrics head to 'Fake Tales of San Francisco', 'When the Sun Goes Down' and 'Mardy Bum' (non-native Yorkshire folk may need to refer to their Yorkshire to English dictionary). One of the best drummers too. (Non-musos, if you don't realise how important your drummer is then it's a bit like having Peter Schmeichel in goal. (Non-sporty and non-musos, if you don't know who Peter Schmeichel is...oh, never mind...)).

Maire's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! Great album and they've grown in stature and songwriting skill since. Their gig last year was in my Top 3 of 2016. 'Mardy Bum' is a classic.

Album 279/1031

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call (1997)


All tracks written by Nick Cave.
No.TitleLength
1."Into My Arms"4:15
2."Lime Tree Arbour"2:56
3."People Ain't No Good"5:42
4."Brompton Oratory"4:06
5."There Is a Kingdom"4:52
6."(Are You) The One That I've Been Waiting For?"4:05
7."Where Do We Go Now But Nowhere?"5:46
8."West Country Girl"2:45
9."Black Hair"4:14
10."Idiot Prayer"4:21
11."Far from Me"5:33
12."Green Eyes"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boatman%27s_Call

Golf's verdict: Doesn't get much airtime in our household, despite NC&tBS being one band that we own every single album they have released. Following the extraordinary Murder Ballads with an album of - well - soppy ballads was a bit of a major disappointment in 1997. Much more reflective, introspective and personal than we had previously seen from him, it has actually set the template for roughly half of his output since. Gladly the other half is still reliably hellfire-singed and whiskey-soaked. On re-evaluation though, whilst this will never be my favourite Bad Seeds album (that would be Your Funeral, My Trial) it is extremely strong.

Maire's verdict: HIDDEN GEM (surprisingly!) I should state up front that as far as I'm concerned Nick Cave is a genius as well as being gorgeous. Right, now that's out of the way....

Anyone who knows me even a little bit is probably aware that I adore Nick Cave. I walked down the aisle to one of his songs, a signed copy of King Ink is a treasured possession and I've lost count of the number of times I've seen him live. I may have even followed him down Fulham Road in a stalker-ish fashion many years ago, but that's another story.

Anyway, you don't know how disappointed I was when this came out in 1997 as it was so different from previous offerings. I don't think I've listened to it since then, to be honest. I've obviously mellowed a lot as I absolutely loved it this time round and no longer muttered 'romantic shite' under my breath. Just goes to show that people change! Off to listen to it again.

Album 280/1031

Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar (1996)


All lyrics written by Marilyn Manson, except "Irresponsible Hate Anthem" written by Manson and Twiggy Ramirez.
Cycle I: The Heirophant
No.TitleMusicLength
1."Irresponsible Hate Anthem" 4:17
2."The Beautiful People"Ramirez3:38
3."Dried Up, Tied and Dead to the World"
  • Manson
  • Ramirez
4:16
4."Tourniquet"
  • Berkowitz
  • Ramirez
4:29
Cycle II: Inauguration of the Worm
No.TitleMusicLength
5."Little Horn"
2:43
6."Cryptorchid"Gacy2:44
7."Deformography"
  • Ramirez
  • Reznor
4:31
8."Wormboy"
  • Berkowitz
  • Ramirez
3:56
9."Mister Superstar"Ramirez5:04
10."Angel with the Scabbed Wings"
  • Manson
  • Ramirez
  • Gacy
3:52
11."Kinderfeld"
  • Ramirez
  • Gacy
4:51
Cycle III: Disintegrator Rising
No.TitleMusicLength
12."Antichrist Superstar"
  • Ramirez
  • Gacy
5:14
13."1996"Ramirez4:01
14."Minute of Decay"Manson4:44
15."The Reflecting God"
  • Ramirez
  • Reznor
5:36
16."Man That You Fear"
  • Ramirez
  • Manson
  • Gacy
  • Berkowitz
6:10
99."Empty Sounds of Hate" (hidden track)
  • Gacy
  • Ramirez
1:39

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antichrist_Superstar


Golf's verdict:
I love the fact that Marilyn Manson exists and for many years provided teenagers of the world with a focus for their rebellion. The music has often been a bit of weak link compared to the visual image though, depending on who he has been collaborating with at the time. This second album really established him as someone who had the potential to sell millions of records and whilst it has some really strong material, a few of these run together as if punched out from the same chainsaw-guitar/industrial Trent Reznor production template.


Maire's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! The Golden Age of Grotesque is a favourite album of mine. This one is less known to me but I REALLY enjoyed it. Just the thing for a Friday morning review of job descriptions.....

No comments:

Post a Comment