Tuesday 2 May 2017

Day 114: San Quentin, may you rot and burn in hell

A two album day today, but we've managed to make it to the end of April and 350 albums into the 1031* album challenge. Luckily we've got a double gem day today.

*If you're a recent finder of the blog, then you may want to go back the very first posting to find out why there are 30 extra albums in the challenge.

Album 351/1031

The Sisters of Mercy - Floodland (1987)




All tracks written by Andrew Eldritch.
Side one
No.TitleLength
1."Dominion/Mother Russia"7:00
2."Flood I"6:22
3."Lucretia My Reflection"4:57
4."1959"4:09
Total length:22:30
Side two
No.TitleLength
1."This Corrosion"9:16
2."Flood II"6:19
3."Driven Like the Snow"4:39
4."Never Land (a fragment)"2:46

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floodland_(album)

Golf's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! In just a few months this will be 30 years old. It certainly does not seem that long ago that everyone in my GCSE Physics class was asking to borrow it from me. Maire's the bigger Sisters fan nowadays (and her Dad, Ted!) and usually plays the best of compilations, so it has been quite a while since I've heard the non-single tracks on Floodland. Pleased to say it was a very pleasant experience to reacquaint myself.

Maire's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! I remember hearing this as an impressionable 14 or 15 year old and being blown away. I even converted my dad to the cause. My sister and I promised that we'd take him to a gig if they toured and we duly did - The Roundhouse a few years ago. 'This Corrosion' is a must at any gatherings Chisler and I go to where we have control over the music, much to the confusion and / or amusement of many.

Album 352/1031

Johnny Cash - At San Quentin (1969)


Side one
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Wanted Man"Bob Dylan3:24
2."Wreck of the Old 97"arranged by Cash, Bob JohnstonNorman Blake2:17
3."I Walk the Line"Johnny Cash3:13
4."Darling Companion"John Sebastian6:10
5."Starkville City Jail"Johnny Cash2:01
Side two
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."San Quentin"Johnny Cash4:07
2."San Quentin" (performed a second time at the audience's request)Johnny Cash3:13
3."A Boy Named Sue"Shel Silverstein3:53
4."(There'll Be) Peace in the Valley"Thomas A. Dorsey2:37
5."Folsom Prison Blues"Johnny Cash4:23

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_San_Quentin

Golf's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! Although I really got into Johnny Cash when he started the American Recordings with Rick Rubin, I have had a real soft spot (and known all the words to) 'A Boy Named Sue' since I was about 7. One day I hope to be in Gatlinburg in mid July looking to quench my thirst. This really captures the atmosphere of the famous prison gig. Not sure that these days you would put the same track on the album twice, but it works nicely here, especially when it's as good as San Quentin. 

Maire's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! I think this was probably my introduction to Mr. Cash and what an intro it was! I'm a big fan and it all stems from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment