Monday 29 May 2017

Day 136: I'm the trouble starter, punking instigator...

Album 424/1031

Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters (1995)


All songs written and composed by Dave Grohl.

No.TitleLength
1."This Is a Call"3:53
2."I'll Stick Around"3:52
3."Big Me"2:12
4."Alone + Easy Target"4:05
5."Good Grief"4:01
6."Floaty"4:30
7."Weenie Beenie"2:46
8."Oh, George"3:00
9."For All the Cows"3:30
10."X-Static"4:13
11."Wattershed"2:16
12."Exhausted"5:45
Total length:44:06

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo_Fighters_(album)

Golf's verdict: It's not that I don't like Foo Fighters, it is just that they seem to have a very, very narrow range. Every album they have released since this debut seems to plough a similar furrow. I like guitar-based rock music, so I am not going to complain, but I won't be making room in my vinyl collection for any of this any time soon.

Maire's verdict: My sister and brother-in-law love this band and I'm sure they're great live. Although I like most things they've done, I rarely realise it's them without being told and the tunes never really stick in my memory.


Album 425/1031

The Prodigy - The Fat of the Land (1997)



No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Smack My Bitch Up" 5:42
2."Breathe" 5:35
3."Diesel Power" (featuring Kool Keith)
  • Howlett
  • Thornton
4:17
4."Funky Shit" 5:16
5."Serial Thrilla"
5:11
6."Mindfields"Howlett5:40
7."Narayan" (featuring Crispian Mills)
9:05
8."Firestarter" 4:40
9."Climbatize"
  • Howlett
  • Timothy Taylor
6:38
10."Fuel My Fire" (featuring Saffron) 4:19

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fat_of_the_Land


Golf's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! Music with a genuine sense of threat and pent up violence that remains as enjoyable to listen to at the highest volume now as it was when it first came along in '97.

Maire's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! An album that genuinely cheered me up when I listened to it on the flight down to the capital. They played our student union many moons ago but I opted to work at the other student bar that night (leading to one of my worst drunken nights that I don't remember but Golf enjoys bringing up ever so often...). Shame as I really like them now.

Album 426/1031

The Divine Comedy - A Short Album About Love (1997)




All songs written by Neil Hannon except where stated.
  1. "In Pursuit of Happiness" – 3:31
  2. "Everybody Knows (Except You)" – 3:48
  3. "Someone" – 5:58
  4. "If..." – 4:25
  5. "If I Were You (I'd Be Through with Me)" – 4:41
  6. "Timewatching" – 4:42
  7. "I'm All You Need" – 4:51
Bonus tracks

  1. "Motorway to Damascus"*
  2. "Love Is Lighter Than Air"* (Stephin Merritt)
  3. "Birds of Paradise Farm"*
  4. "Make It Easy on Yourself"* (Burt Bacharach and Hal David)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Short_Album_About_Love

Golf's verdict: We love Neil Hannon and The Divine Comedy, but this is a relatively minor part of the canon. It does have a fine cover of 'Make It Easy on Yourself', when Neil can really indulge his Scott Walker fixation, plus 'Everybody Knows (Except You)' is a very fine love song.

Maire's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! Not my favourite but I just love his voice and lyrics. The one time I met him I told him he should tour NZ and that as we were moving there he could stay in our spare room. Yeap, I may have been slightly tipsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment