Thursday 11 May 2017

Day 123: For no mere mortal can resist the evil of the thriller...

Album 379/1031

Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982)

Side one
No.TitleWriter(s)Producer(s)Length
1."Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'(recorded April – November 1982)Michael Jackson
6:04
2."Baby Be Mine" (recorded April – October 1982)Rod TempertonJones4:21
3."The Girl Is Mine(with Paul McCartney) (recorded April 1982)Jackson
  • Jones
  • Jackson (co.)
3:43
4."Thriller(recorded April – November 1982)TempertonJones5:58
Side two
No.TitleWriter(s)Producer(s)Length
5."Beat It(recorded April – October 1982)Jackson
  • Jones
  • Jackson (co.)
4:18
6."Billie Jean(recorded April – November 1982)Jackson
  • Jones
  • Jackson (co.)
4:54
7."Human Nature(recorded April – October 1982) Jones4:07
8."P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)(recorded April – October 1982)
Jones3:58
9."The Lady in My Life" (recorded April – November 1982)TempertonJones4:59

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_(Michael_Jackson_album)

Golf's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! (Okay, so it's still the most successful album ever so not exactly an unexpected pleasure). About 7 of these 9 tracks were high charting singles and the EVERY household in the UK had a copy of this. It was some sort of alchemy (and probably quite a lot to do with Quincy Jones) that created some of the best singles of all time. He never bettered it or even came close. Trying to was probably largely to blame for his early demise.

Maire's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! Whatever you may think of Michael Jackson, this is a classic for a reason. I'd actually forgotten how much I enjoyed the album as a whole.

Album 380/1031

The Undertones - The Undertones (1979)


Side one
No.TitleWritten byLength
1."Family Entertainment"Damian O'Neill2:37
2."Girls Don't Like It"J. J. O'Neill2:19
3."Male Model"J. J. O'Neill, Michael Bradley, Damian O'Neill1:54
4."I Gotta Getta"J. J. O'Neill1:53
5."Wrong Way"Billy Doherty1:23
6."Jump Boys"J. J. O'Neill2:40
7."Here Comes The Summer"J. J. O'Neill1:42
Side two
No.TitleWritten byLength
1."Billy's Third"Billy Doherty1:57
2."Jimmy Jimmy"J. J. O'Neill2:41
3."True Confessions"J. J. O'Neill, Michael Bradley, Damian O'Neill1:52
4."She's A Runaround"J. J. O'Neill1:49
5."I Know a Girl"J. J. O'Neill, Michael Bradley, Damian O'Neill2:35
6."Listening In"J . J. O'Neill, Michael Bradley, Damian O'Neill2:24
7."Casbah Rock"J. J. O'Neill0:47

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Undertones_(album)

Golf's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! Loved this. As well as the official 'best record of all time' (TM John Peel (RIP)) in 'Teenage Kicks' it also has 'Jimmy Jimmy', 'True Confessions' and 'Here Comes the Summer'. Maire hates Feargal Sharkey, but they are her hometown band, so hard to say which way she will go on this one.

Maire's verdict: I can't stand Feargal Sharkey (and it is personal) so that may make me 'slightly' biased against the band from my home town. Whatever - despite a few great tracks this isn't as good as everyone else seems to think.

Album 381/1031

James Brown - Live at The Apollo '62 (1963)

No.TitleLength
1."Introduction to James Brown and The Famous Flames(by Fats Gonder)1:49
2."I'll Go Crazy"2:05
3."Try Me"2:27
4."Think"1:58
5."I Don’t Mind"2:28
6."Lost Someone"10:43
7."Medley: Please, Please, Please/You've Got the Power/I Found Someone/Why Do You Do Me/I Want You So Bad/I Love You, Yes I Do/Strange Things Happen/Bewildered/Please, Please, Please"6:27
8."Night Train"3:26
2004 Deluxe Edition bonus tracks
No.TitleLength
9."Think" (Single Mix, Radio Promo Version)2:01
10."Medley: I Found Someone/Why Do You Do Me/I Want You So Bad" (Single Mix)2:10
11."Lost Someone" (Single Mix)2:43
12."I'll Go Crazy" (Single Mix)2:18

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_the_Apollo_(1963_album)

Golf's verdict: In 1962 this must have been like going to see Prince. It's pre-dates his late 60s/early 70s Funky Drummer prime by a bit, but the energy of the performance comes on strong.

Maire's verdict: You can appreciate something without loving it. That's how I feel about this album.

Album 382/1031

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night (1964)

All tracks written by Lennon–McCartney.
Side one (soundtrack to the 1964 United Artists film A Hard Day's Night)
No.TitleLead vocalsLength
1."A Hard Day's Night"Lennon and McCartney2:34
2."I Should Have Known Better"Lennon2:43
3."If I Fell"Lennon and McCartney2:19
4."I'm Happy Just to Dance with You"Harrison1:56
5."And I Love Her"McCartney2:30
6."Tell Me Why"Lennon with McCartney and Harrison2:09
7."Can't Buy Me Love"McCartney2:12
Side two
No.TitleLead vocalsLength
1."Any Time at All"Lennon with McCartney2:11
2."I'll Cry Instead"Lennon1:46
3."Things We Said Today"McCartney2:35
4."When I Get Home"Lennon2:17
5."You Can't Do That"Lennon with McCartney and Harrison2:35
6."I'll Be Back"Lennon with McCartney and Harrison2:24
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Hard_Day%27s_Night_(album)

Golf's verdict:
You know, today is actually the first time I have ever listened to this as an album. I've seen the movie and obviously know quite a lot of the more famous stuff, but one or two of these I may actually have heard for the first time. It's rubbish, obviously.*




*Calm down. It's not really rubbish. Reliably and predictably awesome, as always.

Maire's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! I think everyone would agree, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment