Saturday 28 January 2017

Day 25: Have I been mixing Sheryl up with Shania all these years?

Album 81/1031

Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club (1993)


Standard edition
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Run Baby Run"   4:53
2."Leaving Las Vegas"  
5:10
3."Strong Enough"  
3:10
4."Can't Cry Anymore"  
  • Crow
  • Bottrell
3:41
5."Solidify"  
  • Crow
  • Kevin Hunter
  • Bottrell
  • Baerwald
  • Gilbert
  • Ricketts
  • MacLeod
4:08
6."The Na-Na Song"  
  • Crow
  • Bottrell
  • Baerwald
  • Gilbert
  • Ricketts
  • MacLeod
3:12
7."No One Said It Would Be Easy"  
  • Crow
  • Bottrell
  • Gilbert
  • Dan Schwartz
5:29
8."What I Can Do for You"  
  • Crow
  • Baerwald
4:15
9."All I Wanna Do"  
4:32
10."We Do What We Can"  
  • Crow
  • Bottrell
  • Gilbert
  • Schwartz
5:38
11."I Shall Believe"  
  • Crow
  • Bottrell
5:34

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuesday_Night_Music_Club

Golf's verdict: Somewhere in the margins of my head there was, until today, an artist who seemingly was a combination of Sheryl Crow and Shania Twain. I have been confusing the two for years and though when I heard this I realised immediately that this was not as country/twangy as I was expecting I was still expecting more line-dancing stuff than this. What I got instead was a great opener followed by a bunch of well-produced, catchy fare which left me a bit cold.

Maire's verdict: Run, Baby, Run was a good enough first track. Nothing else lived up to it and I'd forgotten how irritating 'All I Wanna Do' is. 

Album 82/1031

Tricky - Maxinquaye (1995)



Track listing
No.TitleProducer(s)Length
1."Overcome"  Mark SaundersTricky4:30
2."Ponderosa"  Howie B, Tricky3:31
3."Black Steel"  Saunders, Tricky5:40
4."Hell Is Round the Corner"  Saunders, Tricky3:47
5."Pumpkin"  Tricky4:31
6."Aftermath"  Kevin Petrie, Tricky7:39
7."Abbaon Fat Tracks"  Tricky4:27
8."Brand New You're Retro"  Saunders, Tricky2:54
9."Suffocated Love"  Saunders, Tricky4:53
10."You Don't"  Saunders, Tricky4:39
11."Strugglin'"  Saunders, Tricky6:39
12."Feed Me"  Saunders, Tricky4:04
Notes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxinquaye

Golf's verdict: Having collaborated with Massive Attack, but with a rather limited contribution, this was the very fine debut from Bristol's Tricky. Stands up extremely well 20 odd years later.

Maire's verdict: HIDDEN GEM! I'd assumed I knew what this album would sound like and, once again, I was wrong. I should probably learn from that. Anyway, really enjoyed this despite not being my normal fare.
Album 83/1031

Lauren Hill - The Miseducation of... (1998)


No.TitleWriter(s)Producer(s)Length
1."Intro"  Lauryn Hill0:47
2."Lost Ones"  HillHill, Che GuevaraVada Nobles5:33
3."Ex-Factor"  HillHill5:26
4."To Zion" (featuring Carlos Santana)HillHill, Guevara6:08
5."Doo Wop (That Thing)"  HillHill5:19
6."Superstar"  Hill, Johari Newton, James PoyserHill4:56
7."Final Hour"  HillHill4:15
8."When It Hurts So Bad"  HillHill5:42
9."I Used to Love Him" (featuring Mary J. Blige)HillHill5:39
10."Forgive Them Father"  HillHill5:15
11."Every Ghetto, Every City"  HillHill5:14
12."Nothing Even Matters" (featuring D'Angelo)HillHill5:49
13."Everything Is Everything"  Hill, J. NewtonHill4:58
14."The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill"  Hill, Tejumold NewtonHill4:17

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Miseducation_of_Lauryn_Hill

Golf's verdict: Unlike Tricky this seems to be a little dated and samey after nearly 20 years. Did not recognise any of the tunes despite this being a very popular album at the time, which got a lot of airplay.

Maire's verdict: To quote one of the songs: "Music is supposed to inspire". This didn't.

Album 84/1031

The Beau Brummels - Triangle (1967)


Side one

No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Are You Happy?"  Bob Durand, Ron Elliott2:17
2."Only Dreaming Now"  Elliott, Sal Valentino2:06
3."Painter of Women"  Durand, Elliott2:51
4."The Keeper of Time"  Durand, Elliott2:09
5."It Won't Get Better"  Elliott, Valentino2:02
6."Nine Pound Hammer"  Merle Travis3:19

Side two

No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Magic Hollow"  Elliott, Valentino2:53
2."And I've Seen Her"  Durand, Elliott1:59
3."Triangle"  Elliott, Valentino2:17
4."The Wolf of Velvet Fortune"  Elliott, Valentino4:52
5."Old Kentucky Home"  Randy Newman2:05
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_(The_Beau_Brummels_album)

Golf's verdict: Knew the name but not the music. Apparently these guys were produced by Sly Stone, before he was even Sly and split up when so many of them got drafted in the late 60s. It's a great listen and has prompted me to seek out more from them.

Maire's verdict: Can't believe I haven't heard this band before. Left a smile on my face despite the windy conditions coming into land in Wellington.

No comments:

Post a Comment