Saturday 7 January 2017

Day 8: A Sunday smorgasbord

One of the things that led to us deciding to attempt the 1001 Album challenge was rediscovering our love of vinyl in 2016. Previously, our turntable had lived in the home office (stroke Golf's man-cave) and rarely got used. Since we moved it into our main living room it gets a lot more use and we often spend a Sunday morning or a whole evening taking turns to choose from a rapidly expanding collection. I try not to think of the number of albums I bought first on cassette or vinyl, then on CD and now subsequently AGAIN on vinyl. But some albums are worth it...

Most of the 1001 we will use Spotify to access. However, sometimes - like today - we'll dip into the collection for some old-fashioned 'Long Players'.

Album 29/1001

Lloyd Cole & the Commotions - Rattlesnakes (1984)



All lyrics by Lloyd Cole, all music composed by Cole except where noted.

Side one[edit]

  1. "Perfect Skin" – 3:13
  2. "Speedboat" – 4:37
  3. "Rattlesnakes" (Cole, Neil Clark) – 3:28
  4. "Down on Mission Street" – 3:49
  5. "Forest Fire" – 4:34

Side two[edit]

  1. "Charlotte Street" – 3:55
  2. "2cv" – 2:52
  3. "Four Flights Up" (Cole, Lawrence Donegan) – 2:37
  4. "Patience" (Cole, Blair Cowan) – 3:40
  5. "Are You Ready to Be Heartbroken?" (Cole, Clark) – 3:06

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattlesnakes_(album)#Track_listing

Golf's verdict: He's a big fan of NZ, is Lloyd. Comes over every couple of years and plays the vineyard circuit. He's got plenty of cracking tunes, many of them on this debut album. The singles stand-out (Perfect Skin, Rattlesnakes, Forest Fire), but it's all good.

Maire's verdict: I think I first owned this on tape when I was about 14 and then forgot about it. Lots of good memories and the tracks still hold up.

Album 30/1001

The Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables (1980)


All tracks written by Jello Biafra, except where noted.
Side one
No.TitleLength
1."Kill the Poor(East Bay Ray, Biafra)3:07
2."Forward to Death" (6025)1:23
3."When Ya Get Drafted"  1:23
4."Let's Lynch the Landlord"  2:13
5."Drug Me"  1:56
6."Your Emotions" (Ray)1:20
7."Chemical Warfare"  2:55
Side two
No.TitleLength
1."California Über Alles(Biafra, John Greenway)3:03
2."I Kill Children"  2:04
3."Stealing People's Mail"  1:34
4."Funland at the Beach"  1:49
5."Ill in the Head" (6025, Biafra)2:46
6."Holiday in Cambodia(Biafra, Greenway)4:37
7."Viva Las Vegas(Doc PomusMort Shuman; originally performed by Elvis Presley)2:42

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresh_Fruit_for_Rotting_Vegetables

Golf's verdict: A survivor from my sadly now widely dispersed vinyl collection, I got this when I was 15. I LOVED the DKs when I was that age and remember marching up and down the French Alps with this in my headphones on climbing holidays, teaching my bemused companions the words to Holiday in Cambodia. This stands the test of time well and is a great example of the San Fran punk scene of the early 80s. Kill the Poor, California Uber Alles and Stealing People's Mail are other highlights.

Maire's verdict: I only ever really knew Holiday in Cambodia and Kill the Poor. To be honest, it's a bit samey for me.

Album 31/1001

Blondie - Parallel Lines (1978)


Side one
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Hanging on the Telephone(The Nerves cover)Jack Lee2:17
2."One Way or Another"  Deborah HarryNigel Harrison3:31
3."Picture This"  Harry, Chris SteinJimmy Destri2:53
4."Fade Away and Radiate"  Stein3:57
5."Pretty Baby"  Harry, Stein3:16
6."I Know but I Don't Know"  Frank Infante3:53
Side two
No.TitleWriter(s)Length
7."11:59"  Destri3:19
8."Will Anything Happen?"  Jack Lee2:55
9."Sunday Girl"  Stein3:01
10."Heart of Glass"  Harry, Stein3:54
11."I'm Gonna Love You Too(Buddy Holly cover)Joe B. MauldinNiki SullivanNorman Petty2:03
12."Just Go Away"  Harry3:21

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_Lines

Golf's verdict: Genuinely the very first LP I ever owned. I took my sister's copy of The Dooleys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dooleys) LP to a swap-shop at school in about 1980 and came home with this. Have been playing it regularly ever since. Truly one of the greatest albums of all time. Know every word and every jump and scratch on my copy.

Maire's verdict: Great album. Basically an album of hits.

Album 32/1001

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik (1991)


No.TitleLength
1."The Power of Equality"  4:03
2."If You Have to Ask"  3:37
3."Breaking the Girl"  4:55
4."Funky Monks"  5:23
5."Suck My Kiss"  3:37
6."I Could Have Lied"  4:04
7."Mellowship Slinky in B Major"  4:00
8."The Righteous & the Wicked"  4:08
9."Give It Away"  4:43
10."Blood Sugar Sex Magik"  4:31
11."Under the Bridge"  4:24
12."Naked in the Rain"  4:26
13."Apache Rose Peacock"  4:42
14."The Greeting Song"  3:13
15."My Lovely Man"  4:39
16."Sir Psycho Sexy"  8:17
17."They're Red Hot(Robert Johnson)1:12

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Sugar_Sex_Magik

Golf's verdict: Rick Rubin turned them into the huge band they are now with this ambitious double album, jam-packed with fantastic tunes and stunning work by both Flea, but mostly by John Frusciante. A massively talented guitar player, he was not cut out for stardom (though, thankfully, he seems to have permanently kicked the habit that threatened to kill him when this was being made). Sometimes the lyrics are a little facile and border on the misogynistic, but elsewhere - most obviously in the heroin-scoring themed 'Under the Bridge', they are poignant and effective. The guitar solos/breakdowns in My Lovely Man & Sir Psycho Sexy are my favourite bits and Give It Away still gets me onto the nearest dancefloor.

Maire's verdict: I remember hearing this for the first time and wanting to hear it again immediately. I may have also got my best friend's younger brother drunk on Guinness (unintentionally) while discussing the deeper meaning of the album in a Derry nightclub back in the mid-90s. Still love most of the tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment